Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Groundhog Day

So, I didn't post after the last game, but here's a recap:

I sucked at the plate, but played pretty well in the field. I made a couple of really good plays for outs at shortstop, but didn't really make solid contact at the plate. I got a sac fly (once agan taking over the team lead), but didn't get any hits.
We lost, a heartbreaker -- allowing 2 runs to score in the top of the seventh, and then going down 1-2-3 in the bottom.

Sounds pretty much like every other game. It's getting hard to make that same story line sound fresh.

I played short, rather than second, and I did make some pretty nice plays, including starting a 6-3 double play, gliding to my left to field a sharp grounder, stepping on the bag, and firing over to first to complete it.

And I did totally suck at the plate, making out #2 in the 1-2-3 bottom of the final inning that essentially cost us the game.

But, still, it's men's adult rec league slow-pitch softball.
One of our guys was so angry afterwards I thought he was going to do physical harm to himself or others.

Dude. You just can't take it that seriously. Say it with me:

It's men's adule rec league slow-pitch softball.

The real reason I didn't post after the last game is that the following morning I went in for a check-up with the periodontist (that's latin for "sadist") and we decided to go ahead and "do the procedure" that day.

The procedure involves (if you're squeamish, look away) slicing out a chunk of the roof of my mouth and inserting it into my lower gums. Of course, to make my gums ready to accept a chunk of the roof of my mouth, they needed to be slit open, right below the tooth line.

How does that sound for a good time?

Any why, you may ask, did I have this glorious adventure?

Because I brush my teeth too well.

From early childhood, I've used a firm-bristled brush, and have brushed with great fervor. I really wanted to show that plaque what it was up against. You want to mess with MY teeth? Deal with THAT!
While I have kept my teeth fairly cavity-free, I've also been wearing away at my gums, not unlike the Colorado River and the desert of Arizona.

Anyway, several stitches, a bottle of vicodin, and a week later, and I'm ready to strap it on and go again. I get the stitches out tomorrow morning, and hopefully will be back at second base tomorrow night.

8:30 central daylight time. Be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home